Welcome to the Property Claims Learning Centre
Our Property Claims Learning Centre is an educational resource for information on how to file a claim.
How to Report a Homeowners Claim
Important First Steps
- Take reasonable steps to prevent potential safety risks and/or further damage. Contact your claim representative if you have questions about the steps to take.
- If the loss is caused by theft, notify the police.
- Notify banks and credit card companies about any missing debit or credit cards.
- Keep accurate records of what you spend repairing items.
- Separate items that may be cleaned and/or repaired.
- Check with your claim representative before you discard any items you plan to claim as damaged.
- Review your policy for specific coverage information.
- Claims submitted are subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
If Anyone is Injured
- Report it immediately to your agent.
- Obtain names and addresses of any witnesses.
- Do not make any voluntary payments for anything outside of emergency first aid.
When Someone Files a Claim Against You
- Report the claim and we will conduct an investigation to assess the allegations.
- We will pay any claim you are legally liable for, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
Settling a Claim
- We will pay to repair or replace your damaged property, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If applicable, check with your mortgage company about how it handles the claim payments.
- Check with your State Farm agent or claim representative if you have any questions.
This is only a general description of coverages and is not a statement of contract. Details of coverage or limits vary in some provinces. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions, and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.