We value you as a customer and we know how much privacy means to you. As such, we would like to inform you of our policies for collecting, using, securing, and sharing customer information.
Our Privacy Principles
- We do not sell customer information.
- We do not allow those who are doing business on our behalf to use our customer information for their own marketing purposes.
- We contractually require any person or organization providing products or services on our behalf to protect State Farm customer information.
- We do not share customer medical information with anyone within the State Farm family of companies, unless you expressly authorize it, or unless it is permitted or required by law, or unless your insurance policy contract with us permits us to do so.
- We afford our prospective and former customers the same protections as existing customers with respect to the use of personal information.
Information We May Collect
We collect, use, and share information we need to conduct our business, to advise you of our products and services, and to provide you with customer service. We may collect and maintain several types of customer information needed for these purposes, such as those below.
We Collect Information
- From you, on applications for our insurance, lending and investment products, or on other forms, through telephone or in-person interviews, your State Farm agent, and our Customer Response Center, such as your address and telephone number.
- From your transactions with us, such as your payment history, underwriting, and claim records.
- From non-State Farm companies, organizations, or consumer reporting agencies, such as your driving record, claim history or credit history.
Information for Internet, Mobile, and Social Media Users
We want to make you aware of how we use Internet "cookies" and analytical tools to enhance your experience when visiting statefarm.ca® or using our mobile and social media applications. "Cookies" are files we place in your computer's browser to store your State Farm online preferences. Web analytics provide non-personally identifiable statistical information about how visitors interact with our website and applications. Our mobile and social media applications may also collect non-personally identifiable demographic information (such as age, sex, and city/province location) about the users of each application. Prior to installation of any application, you will see a statement describing what information is collected from your use of that particular application.
By themselves, cookies and web analytics do not tell us your email address or other personally identifiable information. They do not identify you by name or address unless you have provided us with such information (over the Internet or in some other communication). Cookies and analytics do help us to:
- Analyze how customers use our website and applications.
- Develop new services to improve our online content.
- Analyze our marketing campaigns.
- Know how many visitors have seen or clicked on our ads.
If you disable cookies by changing the setting on your browser, the site will not recall your preferences and you will not be able to access a customized default home page view of our website. In addition, rejecting cookies may prevent you from using certain functions and you may have to repeatedly enter information to take advantage of services or promotions.
You may retain cookies in your browser for a customized online experience; however, if you do not want to allow websites to install cookies in your browser, you should adjust your browser settings to block cookies.
How We Use Information about You
We use customer information to underwrite your policies, process your claims, ensure proper billing, service your accounts and offer you other insurance or financial services products that may suit your needs. These services may be performed by State Farm or its services providers.
We share information about our transactions (such as payment of premium) and experiences (such as an auto accident) with you within our State Farm family of companies and with State Farm agents to better serve you and to help meet your current product and service needs. We may share information about you with persons or organizations inside or outside our family of companies for our everyday business purposes and as permitted or required by law. We also may share information about you with companies that perform marketing or other services for us or with whom we have joint marketing agreements. These agreements allow us to provide a broader selection of insurance and financial products to you.
We may also share customer information with consumer reporting agencies and with other entities as needed to handle your claim and to protect against fraud and unauthorized transactions. For example, we might share name, address, and coverage information with an auto body shop to speed up repairs on auto damage claims.
We also share customer information with our operations based in the United States, and with those performing services on our behalf located in the United States or in other countries. In the event that customer information is stored or processed in the United States, United States regulatory agencies, courts, or law enforcement authorities may be able to obtain customer information based on the laws or regulations in the United States.
If you would like to receive written information about our policies and practices with respect to service providers outside of Canada, or if you have any questions about the collection, use, disclosure, or storage of customer information by our foreign service providers, please call, or write to:
Your Awareness and Permission
By purchasing insurance or financial services from State Farm, you provide State Farm with your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of certain personal information, including that previously collected, for the purposes of communicating with you, your mortgage company, or your lienholder; assessing your application for insurance and financial services products, and underwriting these policies and products; evaluating claims; detecting and preventing fraud; analyzing business results; and acting as required by law.
We may also use personal information in order to tell you about other insurance or financial services products that may suit your needs.
If you would rather not receive such additional marketing information, please contact your State Farm agent.
State Farm Protects Customer Information
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect customer information. We continually review our policies and practices, monitor our computer networks and test the strength of our security in order to help us ensure the safety of customer information.